The recommended starting dosage of Zanaflex is 4 mg every six to eight hours. The medication is only taken as needed, and should not be taken more than three times a day. Typically, the drug's effects peak about one to two hours after taking it. Although Zanaflex is available as both capsules and tablets, the two forms of the drug are not interchangeable.
The dose of Zanaflex® (tizanidine hydrochloride) your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- How you respond to this medication
- The severity of your condition
- Other medications you take
- Any other medical conditions you may have.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
The usual starting dose for treating spasticity is Zanaflex 4 mg every six to eight hours as needed (up to a maximum of three doses per 24 hours). Your healthcare provider may gradually increase the amount as needed.
It should be noted that Zanaflex capsules and Zanaflex tablets are not interchangeable, even in the same strengths, since the body handles them slightly differently. Do not switch from one to the other without your healthcare provider's approval and supervision.
Some considerations to keep in mind when taking Zanaflex include the following:
- This medicine comes in tablet and capsule forms. It is usually taken as needed, up to three times daily.
- The effects of Zanaflex peak about one to two hours after taking it, and it usually stops working within three to six hours. Keep this in mind when timing your doses.
- Taking the capsules with food decreases the peak level of medication in the bloodstream, but the opposite is true with the tablets (food increases the peak level of medication). It is important to take Zanaflex consistently in the same way -- either with or without food.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Do not stop taking it suddenly, especially if you have been taking it for quite a while.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage or Zanaflex dosing in general, please talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.