Side Effects of Tapentadol
Common Side EffectsTapentadol has been studied thoroughly in clinical trials. In these studies, one group of people received the real medication, while another group was given a placebo (a "sugar pill" with no active ingredients). As a result, it is possible to see what tapentadol side effects occurred, how often they appeared, and how they compared to the group not taking the medication.
In these studies, the most common side effects seen with tapentadol included:
- Nausea -- in up to 30 percent of people
- Dizziness -- up to 24 percent
- Vomiting -- up to 18 percent
- Drowsiness -- up to 15 percent
- Constipation -- up to 8 percent
- Itching -- up to 5 percent.
Other common reactions (occurring in 1 to 4 percent of people) included:
- Dry mouth
- Indigestion or heartburn
- Fatigue and lethargy
- Feeling hot and/or sweaty
- Upper respiratory tract infection (such as the common cold)
- Urinary tract infection (UTI), such as a bladder infection
- Decreased appetite
- Joint pain
- Shakiness (tremor)
- Insomnia or abnormal dreams
- Confusion or anxiety
- A rash
- Hot flashes.
Final ThoughtsYou may experience some or none of the side effects listed in this article. Unfortunately, there is no way for your healthcare provider to know beforehand if you will have problems with a medicine that you have never tried.
Therefore, make sure to let your healthcare provider know if you develop any adverse reactions while taking the drug or if something "just does not seem right." While it may not be a side effect of tapentadol, your healthcare provider will be able to diagnose and treat the problem.