Precautions and Warnings With Tapentadol
Who Should Not Take Tapentadol?You should not take tapentadol if you:
- Are allergic to it, to Nucynta, or to any of the inactive components used to make the medication. Your healthcare provider or pharmacist has a list of the inactive ingredients.
- Have significant respiratory depression (slow or ineffective breathing due to a variety of causes) that is not treated.
- Have severe asthma or are having an asthma attack.
- Have high levels of carbon dioxide in the blood (hypercarbia).
- Have a bowel obstruction (paralytic ileus).
- Have taken a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) within the past 14 days. MAOIs include:
There are a number of situations in which tapentadol should not be taken, as well as several safety concerns people should be aware of before starting treatment. However, it is possible that not all of these issues were discussed in this article. Therefore, talk with your healthcare provider about the specific tapentadol warnings and precautions that may apply to you.