If you take too much Skelaxin (metaxalone), overdose symptoms can include vomiting, extreme drowsiness, and shallow breathing. The specific effects of an overdose will vary, depending on how much was taken and whether it was taken with other substances. Taking Skelaxin with alcohol or antidepressants may increase the risk of life-threatening complications. Treatment for a Skelaxin overdose includes administering medicines, "pumping the stomach," and providing supportive care.
An Introduction to a Skelaxin OverdoseSkelaxin® (metaxalone) is a muscle relaxant that is only available by prescription. An overdose with Skelaxin can cause life-threatening complications. The specific effects of this type of overdose will vary, depending on a number of factors, including how much of the medication was taken and whether it was taken with any other medications or substances.
Effects of an Overdose With SkelaxinThere have been reports of deaths due to intentional and unintentional Skelaxin overdoses, particularly when the overdose was taken in combination with antidepressants. Overdoses of similar muscle relaxants have caused deaths when taken in combination with alcohol.
In rats and mice, symptoms of a Skelaxin overdose include:
- Extreme drowsiness
- Slow or shallow breathing.
In studies with dogs, an overdose caused vomiting, which limited the toxic effects of the medication.
Treatment for a Skelaxin OverdoseThe treatment for a Skelaxin overdose will vary. If the overdose was recent, a healthcare provider may administer certain medicines or place a tube into the stomach to "pump" it. Treatment may also involve supportive care, which consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose.
It is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you may have overdosed on Skelaxin.