An overdose of oxycodone can be quite dangerous and even fatal. Possible overdose symptoms may include difficulty breathing, limp muscles, or cardiac arrest. Seek immediate medical attention if you or someone else may have overdosed on this medication. Treatment may involve "pumping" the stomach, inducing vomiting, administering an antidote, and providing supportive care.
Can You Take Too Much Oxycodone?Oxycodone hydrochloride is a narcotic, opioid (morphine-like) drug. It is possible to overdose on oxycodone; in fact, an oxycodone overdose can be fatal. The specific effects of an overdose can vary, depending on a number of factors, including the oxycodone dosage and whether it was taken with any other medications or substances.
Seek immediate medical attention if you or someone else may have intentionally or accidentally taken an oxycodone overdose. An overdose with this medication can be lethal.
Symptoms of an OverdosePeople who take too much oxycodone may have overdose symptoms that could include:
- Difficulty breathing
- Extreme drowsiness, leading to a coma
- Cold, clammy skin
- A slow heart rate (bradycardia)
- Weak, limp muscles
- Low blood pressure (hypotension)
- Cardiac arrest
- Loss of life.
Many oxycodone medications are combination medications that contain other active ingredients (such as acetaminophen). Of course, there may be other overdose symptoms that can occur due to these other active ingredients.
Treatment for an Oxycodone OverdoseEarly treatment after an oxycodone overdose is essential. If the overdose was recent, a healthcare provider may "pump" the stomach, induce vomiting, or administer activated charcoal to prevent the body from absorbing oxycodone. An antidote (naloxone or Narcan®) may be administered to counteract any overdose effects of oxycodone.
Treatment will also involve supportive care, which consists of treating symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. It is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you may have overdosed on oxycodone.