Ketorolac Nasal Spray
How Does It Work?Ketorolac nasal spray belongs to a group of medications called nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). Like other NSAIDs, ketorolac nasal spray is thought to work by blocking the production of certain hormones that cause pain and inflammation in the body. These hormones are called prostaglandins. By blocking prostaglandins, this nasal spray helps to alleviate pain.
Clinical Effects of Ketorolac Nasal SprayClinical studies have shown that ketorolac nasal spray can reduce pain from major surgery. In one study, people who were given ketorolac nasal spray experienced less intense pain in the two days after surgery, compared to those who received a placebo (a "sugar pill" that does not contain any active ingredients).
The people who were given ketorolac nasal spray also used 36 percent less morphine, a strong opioid pain medicine, than those who received the placebo pill.
- This medication comes in the form of a nasal spray. It is sprayed into the nostrils, usually every six to eight hours.
- Your healthcare provider will tell you how many sprays to use for each dose.
- You must activate the pump before using each ketorolac nasal spray bottle for the first time. Do this by holding the bottle away from your body, and pressing down on the flange five times.
- It is important to learn exactly how to use ketorolac nasal spray. Using a nasal spray is not always easy. Make sure to read the instruction guide that comes with the medication, and ask your healthcare provider or pharmacist if you have any questions.
- Ketorolac nasal spray bottles do not contain preservatives. Therefore, it is important that you throw away each bottle within 24 hours after your first dose, even if there is medicine still left in the bottle.
- Do not use ketorolac nasal spray for more than five days in a row. Using this medicine for more than five days will increase your risk for serious side effects.
- You can take ketorolac nasal spray with food or on an empty stomach. If it bothers your stomach, try taking it with food.
- Make sure to drink plenty of fluids while you are using ketorolac nasal spray.
- You might want to take a sip of water after using this medication to reduce the chance of getting an irritated throat.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be used as prescribed.