As with any medication, it is possible to overdose on hydrocodone. Symptoms that may occur with an overdose include difficulty breathing, extreme drowsiness, and slow heart rate. An overdose with this medication can be quite dangerous and could even lead to cardiac arrest or loss of life. Seek medical attention immediately if you take too much of this medication. Treatment options for an overdose include "pumping the stomach," certain medications, and supportive care.
Hydrocodone is an active ingredient in many prescription pain and cough medicines. It is a narcotic, opioid (morphine-like) drug. It is possible to overdose on hydrocodone; in fact, a hydrocodone overdose can be quite dangerous. The specific effects of a hydrocodone overdose can vary, depending on a number of factors, including the hydrocodone dosage and whether it was taken with any other medications or substances.
Seek immediate medical attention if you or someone else may have overdosed on hydrocodone. An overdose with this medication can be lethal.
People who take too much hydrocodone may have overdose symptoms that could include:
- Cold, clammy skin
- A slow heart rate (bradycardia)
- Difficulty breathing
- Extreme drowsiness, leading to a coma
- Low blood pressure (hypotension)
- Cardiac arrest
- Loss of life.
Keep in mind that hydrocodone is not available as a single ingredient medication; all hydrocodone products also contain at least one other active ingredient, such as acetaminophen (Tylenol®) or ibuprofen (Advil®, Motrin®). Of course, an overdose with a hydrocodone product will also cause symptoms due to the other active ingredient(s), which may vary, depending upon the particular active ingredient.