The recommended starting dosage of Flexeril for most people is 5 mg three times daily. If your muscle spasms are still not under control, your healthcare provider may increase your dose up to 10 mg three times daily. For elderly people or people who have liver problems, a lower dosage may be necessary. Flexeril should only be used for two or three weeks at a time.
An Introduction to Dosing With FlexerilThe dose of Flexeril® (cyclobenzaprine hydrochloride) that your healthcare provider recommends will vary depending on a number of factors, including:
- Your age
- Other medications you are taking
- Any other medical conditions you may have.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
The recommended starting Flexeril dosage for most people is 5 mg three times daily. If necessary, your healthcare provider may increase your dose up to 10 mg three times daily to control your muscle spasms.
For people with liver problems or elderly people, a less-frequent Flexeril dose may be recommended, as these people may be more sensitive to the effects (and side effects) of Flexeril.
General Information on Taking FlexerilSome considerations for people taking Flexeril include the following:
- Flexeril comes in the form of a tablet. It is usually taken three times daily (although a less frequent dose may be recommended for elderly people or for people who have liver problems).
- In general, Flexeril should only be used for two or three weeks at a time. This should be plenty of time for most muscle injuries to heal.
- It does not matter if you take Flexeril with food or on an empty stomach. If it bothers your stomach, try taking it with food.
- Flexeril can cause significant drowsiness. Your healthcare provider may recommend that you take Flexeril only at night, especially if you need to be alert during the day.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Flexeril will not work if you stop taking it.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your Flexeril dosage, please talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.