Precautions and Warnings With Fentanyl Patch
Who Should Not Use a Fentanyl Patch?You should not use fentanyl patches if you:
- Are allergic to Duragesic, fentanyl, or any of the inactive components used to make the medication. Your healthcare provider or pharmacist has a list of the inactive ingredients.
- Have not already been taking another opioid medication and are not opioid tolerant.
- Need pain medication only for acute pain (for a short period of time).
- Only need pain management for pain from surgery or other medical or dental procedures.
- Are experiencing mild pain.
- Only need intermittent ("as needed") pain relief.
- Have significant respiratory depression (slow or ineffective breathing due to a variety of causes).
- Have paralytic ileus (a bowel obstruction).