Acetaminophen With Codeine Dosage
For children, acetaminophen with codeine dosing is determined by the child's age. The maximum daily dose for adults is 360 mg of codeine phosphate and 4000 mg of acetaminophen per day. The actual recommended acetaminophen with codeine dosage for adults will vary, depending on the specific strength of the product and how you respond to the medication.
The dose of acetaminophen with codeine (Tylenol® with Codeine) that your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- Your age
- How sensitive you are to acetaminophen with codeine
- Other medications you are taking
- Other medical conditions you may have.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
Typically, acetaminophen with codeine can be taken as frequently as every four hours as needed for pain (up to a maximum dose), although the specific dosage your healthcare provider recommends may vary, depending on the specific strength of the product, as well as other factors. If your body is used to taking narcotic medications, you will be able to handle more Acetaminophen with codeine than someone who does not regularly take narcotics. If you have liver or kidney disease, you may need a lower acetaminophen with codeine dosage.
The maximum daily dose for any acetaminophen with codeine product in adults is 360 mg of codeine phosphate and 4000 mg of acetaminophen per day. See below for the codeine and acetaminophen content of the various acetaminophen with codeine products:
- Acetaminophen with codeine No. 2 -- 300 mg of acetaminophen and 15 mg of codeine phosphate (only available in generic form)
- Acetaminophen with codeine No. 3 -- 300 mg of acetaminophen and 30 mg of codeine phosphate (available in brand and generic form)
- Acetaminophen with codeine No. 4 -- 300 mg of acetaminophen and 60 mg of codeine phosphate (available in brand and generic form)
- Acetaminophen with codeine oral solution -- 120 mg of acetaminophen and 12.5 mg of codeine phosphate per 5 mL (only available in generic form).
Make sure to watch for any other sources of acetaminophen, including other prescription pain relievers and many over-the-counter products, such as Tylenol®. To be safe, all other acetaminophen products should be avoided while you are taking acetaminophen with codeine, unless you are extremely careful to limit your total acetaminophen use (from all sources added together) to 4 grams per day. The acetaminophen content of the combination medication is 300 mg per tablet. Taking more than 4 grams (4000 mg) of acetaminophen per day can cause liver damage, which can result in liver failure and death.